Located on the northside of Manisan Mountain peak, Chamseongdan Altar is where Dangun (founder of Korea) is said to have offered sacrifices to the heavens. The story of Dangun reads that he made sacrifices over 4,000 years ago, making this relic a historical treasure.
Chamseongdan was renovated in 1270 under Goryeo Wonjong’s and after being renovated several more times. To this day it has remained the same way and kept the same appearance. Chamseongdan is a natural stone 5 meters in x_height, circular in shape at the bottom and rectangular at the top. Because it is in the middle of Baekdusan Mountain and Hallasan Mountain, you can see the islands of the West sea and the inland scenery. It is symbolically a very important place. It is said that in the past, the kings of Goguryeo, Baekje, and Silla Kingdoms all offered sacrifices to the heavens here. This form of ceremonial sacrificing continued prevailed until the Joseon Period (1392~1910). Visitors can see from scattered relics how Korea’s ancestors revered and feared the heavens. Even now, on Gaecheonjeol Day, Koreans offer sacrifices to Dangun here, and for national athletic events, a sacred flame for the games is ignited here.
Manisan Mountain is 495m above sea level, which makes it the highest mountain in Ganghwa. The entire area was designated as a National Tour Site in 1977. Climb to the summit and you can see the entire Gyeonggi area. The path leading up to Chamseongdan especially has a wonderful view of the mountain and the sea, and is a favorite of the climbers.
San 42-1, Heungwang-ri, Hwado-myeon, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon[Google Map]
1. Sinchon → Manisan Mountain
- From Sinchon Intercity Bus Terminal (+82-2-324-0611), take Manisan Mountain bound bus (first bus 6:40 / last bus 20:30 / 1 hour interval / 1 hour and 40 min ride).
2. Sinchon → Ganghwa-eup → Manisan Mountain
- From exit 7 of Sinchon station (Seoul Subway Line 2), walk 100m toward Seogang Bridge. Take Ganghwa bound intercity bus there (10 min interval / 1 hour and 30 min ride).
- From Ganghwa Intercity Bus Terminal, take Hwado bound city bus and get off at Hwado (30 min interval / ride). Walk 5 min.
- Taxi takes 20 min from Ganghwa Intercity Bus Terminal to Chamseongdan .
infocenter: • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-32-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info +82-32-930-4571