Geumjeongsanseong Fortress is located on the peak of Geumjeongsan Mountain (801.5m) in Busan. Its original name was Dongnae Mountain Fortress, but it was changed because of its location.
With a length of 17,377 meters and x_height of 1.5 to 3 meters high, it was the largest fortress in Korea. Currently, there is only a 4 kilometer long section remaining from the original form. The exact time of the initial fortification is not recorded, but in reference to the location and size, it is presumed to have been built during the Three Kingdoms Era.The present fortress was built in 1703, during the reign of King Sukjong. It was built after the Imjin War (1592-1598) to prepare for any further invasions. It was first built with stones and was renovated in 1707. During the Japanese Colonization, it was severely damaged. Three of the four main gates (East, West, and South Gates) were recovered in 1970.
Geumseong-dong, Geumjeong-gu, Busan-si[Google Map]
N/A (Open all year round)
How To Use
[Subway + Bus]
Oncheonjang Station (Busan subway line 1), Exit 5.
- Turn right from the exit and walk for about 60m before turning into 153 Jungangdae-ro 1 Beon-gil.
- Walk straight for about 130 m and turn right again at the intersection. Continue to walk straight for about 1-min to arrive at the bus stop.
- Take Bus No. 203 and then get off at Geumseong-dong Residents' Community Center.
- Walk for about 14 min to arrive at the South gate or East gate of the fortress.
infocenter: • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-51-519-4092