Designated the ‘No. 1 Gwangju Metropolitan City Folk Material’ on March 20, 1989, the House of Lee Jang-woo is an upper-class, tile-roofed house with a gate, storeroom, servants’ quarters, detached building, and main building. Estimated to have been constructed in 1899, the house was originally owned by Jeong Byeong-ho, but has been primarily known as the House of Lee Jang-woo, the house’s current owner, since 1965.
The L-shaped main hall of the historic building is rather large and consists of (left to right) a wooden verandah, a small room, a hall, the main room, a kitchen, and another small room. Doors that lead to ondol rooms (those heated by traditional Korean floor heating) are double doors with a sliding door on the inside and a hinged door on the outside. The hall has partitions that can be hung up as necessary. Overall, the house is a sturdy example of Korean architecture and remains well-preserved in its original state.
21, Yangchon-gil, Nam-gu, Gwangju[Google Map]
(Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese)
How To Use
Parking available at Sajik Park or Cheonbyeon parking lot
Culture Complex Station (Gwangju Subway Line 1), Exit 3.
straight 500m towards Seonam University Hospital.
Cross the bridge, turn
left, and go straight 250m towards Sajik Park.
After passing Yangnim Police
Station, you will see a sign for the house on the right.
From Gwangju U-Square Bus Terminal, take the bus marked Cheomdan
09 (첨단 09).
Get off at the Chonnam National University Hospital (전남대병원)
approx. 900m towards Sajik Park.
infocenter: • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-62-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-62-607-2332