The name of the temple is believed to have originated from the fact that it is located in the south of Gajisan or Seokansan. Built in 824 A.D. (during the 16th year of King Heondeok’s reign), the temple was destroyed during the Japanese Invasions of Korea (1592-1598) and rebuilt in 1674 (during the 15th year of King Hyeongjong’s reign). Since then, it has gone through rebuilding several times. Consisting of 30 buildings, the temple is home to many Buddhist nuns.
Seongnamsa Three Story Pagoda (Local Tangible Cultural Property No. 5) was built in 824 A.D. by Monk Doui, reflecting his wish of protecting the country from foreign invasions. The pagoda was initially placed in front of Daeungjeon, but moved to the current location in 1973. Other notable relics in the temple include the Statue of Monk Doui (National Treasure No. 369), Three Story Sarira Pagoda, and Stone Water Tank (Cultural Property Material No. 4).
557, Seongnam-ro, Sangbuk-myeon, Ulju-gun, Ulsan[Google Map]
www.seoknamsa.or.kr (Korean only)
From Dong Seoul Bus Terminal, take an intercity bus to Eonyang (언양).
* Bus schedule: 10:00, 13:20
From Eonyang Bus Terminal, take Bus to Seoknamsa Temple (석남사).
Parking lot - Ssal Rock - Gajisan Mt. - Araejae - EoksanMt. - Daebisa Temple
- Unmunsa Temple - Parking lot
(20km,takes 12 hour,1 night course)
* Nammyeong-ri - Unmunsan Mt. - Araejae - Gajisan Mt. - Ssal Rock - Seoknamsa
Parking lot (16km, takes 10 hour, 1 night course)
* Seoknamsa Parking lot - Seoknamgogae - Top of the mountain - Ssal Rock
- Seoknamsa Temple - Parking lot (10km, takes 4 hour 30min)
Adults - 1,700
won / Group 1,500 won
Teenagers - 1,300 won / Group 1,000 won
Children - 1,000 won / Group 800 won
Small vehicles 2,000 won / Large vehicles 4,000 won
Interpretation Services Offered:
infocenter: • 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330
(Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-52-264-8900